skip to main content

Non EU citizens abroad

Enrollment Non EU citizens abroad

Resident abroad

Pre-enrolment pf no EU citizens resident abroad
The Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research has published the dates for pre-enrolment of non-EU students resident abroad. Deadline is 24th July 2019.
Please note that this procedure takes place at the Italian diplomatic representantives in the country of residence of the candidate. Qualifications can be accompanied in alternative by ENIC-NARIC certification, by certification of official foreign institutions or by the declaration of value.

For further details about other required documents please address directly to the relevant Italian Representatives.
For more information please check the following website

General information

No EU citizens resident abroad may enrol in the first or subsequent years (in the case of a shortened course), according to the number of available places established yearly by the Departments for each course (see the Ministero dell'Istruzione, dell'Università e della Ricerca website).
Applicants holding five or four-year secondary school qualifications obtained at an Italian school abroad or with an international diploma may apply, through the competent Italian diplomatic authorities, outside the specific contingent.


The pre-enrolment application must be addressed to the Italian diplomatic authorities ( ) in the applicant's country of residence or where he obtained the qualification, during the period established yearly in the Ministry's notice.
In particular it is necessary to enclose the original of the secondary school qualification for the legal translation and relative declaration of equivalent value ("Dichiarazione di valore").
The secondary school qualifications considered valid for enrolment in Italy are those obtained at the end of a period of schooling of at least 12 years.
Applicants attending their last year at secondary school are accepted with reservation.
For diplomas obtained after less than 12 years of schooling, it is necessary to attach an academic qualification proving that students have completed university courses according the number of missing years.

Knowledge of Italian

The University verifies that the documentation is complete and admits applicants to the Italian language test held every year at the beginning of September, on a single national date. For academic year 2019/2020 the test will take place on 02nd September 2019.

Italian Ministry provisions give examples of exemption to the Italian language test .
When taking the test, applicants must show a valid passport with specific entry visa for "study purpose", a residence permit or relative receipt issued by the competent Questura (Police Department) certifying application for the permit.